CloassofBoone'60/Boone History
postcard

WM. R. BOONE HIGH SCHOOL (Orlando) HISTORY

In 1869 in Orlando, Florida, the Union Free Church on S. Main Street (now Magnolia Avenue), between Church Street and Pine Street, served as School #1.

In 1884, Orlando’s only public school building was located at the northwest corner of S. Orange Avenue and South Street. A wing was added on the west side and then another one on the south side. The building was partially destroyed by fire in 1905, and classes were held in vacant rooms around town. When rebuilt, it operated as a public school from 1906-1924. After being condemned for school use, the building then housed the Orlando City Hall until 1958 and Orlando Police Department until 1972, when the structure was razed.

Orlando High School started in a one-room log cabin, moved to the building at S. Orange Avenue and Jackson Street, then relocated in 1922 to the south wing of then Memorial Junior High School, west of Lake Eola, where the Four Points Sheraton Hotel is today.

The school, shortly afterwards, moved into a brand new building on a block of land fronting E. Robinson Street where it stayed until June 7, 1952. The building now houses Howard Middle School.



WmRBoone
 
 
 
 
 

The Principal of Orlando High School from 1932 to 1952 was William R. Boone.

 
By 1949, the post-World War II years had brought on a population explosion, "the baby boom," setting up the conditions for building three new $1 Million high schools: Lake Lancaster High School on 35 acres to the south on Kaley Avenue, Edgewater High School on 20 acres to the north on Edgewater Drive. James Gamble Rogers was the architect for both. The students from Orlando High School were to be divided between these two new schools. Land was purchased at $1,500 per acre.
Lake Lancaster High School's first principal was to be William R. Boone. However, he died suddenly in June, 1952 on the last day of class at Orlando High School. Lacey Hall, a faculty member who was with Mr. Boone at his death, said his last words were, “I have been teaching for 35 years and have never missed a day. This had to happen on the last day of school.” The Orange County Board of Education voted to rename this new school William R. Boone High School in honor of his dedication and outstanding contributions to education in the Orlando community.

Mr. Kipp

Mr. R. Earl Kipp
was then selected to be the
first Principal of Boone High.
In 1957, Mr. Kipp was elected as Superintendent of the Orange County Board of Public Instruction.

Mr Terry

 

Mr. Charles Terry was selected as the Prinicpal of Boone High School
when Mr. Kipp left.
 

 
BOONE FACTS

- The school was officially dedicated on September 2, 1952. There were 1,015 students registered. The first graduation in May, 1953 was of a class of 283.

- Dedication of William R. Boone Memorial Marker, March 1, 1953.

- Boone's “Alma Mater” song – words and music by C.W. Rumpf, Band Director.

- Boone's "Fight Song" - written by the Rev. Dr. Richard Blanchard in his first assignment as Associate Pastor of the First Methodist Church of Orlando. Playing trombone and piano, he would visit Boone to "minister" to kids.

- Boone's yearbook, the “Boone Legend,” named by the student body.

- School Colors: Orange and White

- School Mascot: Indian Brave




brave
yrbk
- Boone's Official Seal:

Torch - represents knowledge
Winged Foot - represents athletics
Indian Brave - represents courage

- Boone's motto “Semper Cum Virtute,”
means "Always with Courage."
logo

 

- First Boone-Edgewater football game was before a sellout, record-breaking crowd of over 11,000. Final score: Edgewater 14 - Boone 0.

- 50th reunion-Boone-Edgewater football game (Nov. 8, 2002) was before a sellout, record-breaking crowd of over 22,384. Final score: Edgewater 29 - Boone 0.

_____________________________________________
History written by Grace (Wendorff) Chewning (Class of 1953)
Brave Image of Boone High at top from 1952 post card, courtesy of Nancy Fournier - (Class of 1974)